Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Goodbyes (July 14)

Oh man. I am terrible at goodbyes. We started off handing out the supplies to John Wesley in Standard 8, the Standard 4A teacher, and finally Katie and Cecilia. We hung up posters during the few minutes left of class instruction and then Katie told us we had to head over to the standard 7 room for the farewell celebration. It was Dr. Kelly, a director from MIE, the Domasi Government School head teacher, all the teachers, and of course, us. It was so cute, they had decorated the board, rearranged all the desks so we were in a big circle, and had a big table in the middle with food and drinks, which we really good. Our teacher, Katie, actually was on this committee and started handing out gifts to all of us. They told us we had to leave and then come back and show them what we got, so we figured it was clothing, and it was! A shirt and wraparound skirt. All of us matched and it was really nice. We clapped, dance and sang our way back into the classroom with the rest of the female teachers that had led us.

Once we were seated again, the head teacher and Dr. Kelly gave speeches, and then it was our turn. I knew it was coming. Jess and I had to stand up there together because we both suck at saying goodbye. Of course we both started crying, a lot. We cried more than anyone else and I’d be shocked if they could actually understand what we were saying to them. This was way harder than I expected it to be. I don’t think you really understand what you’re feeling or how much you’ve been affected until you’re looking all these people in the face and you have to tell them. I didn’t even get out 5 words before I turned into waterworks.

I’ve come here with a group for a purpose that includes teaching and trying to better the Domasi education system. However, it was important that they knew how much I have learned from them. I can sincerely say that I will never forget the teachers, the school, the country. I will never forget those faces, the children, not only at my school but every school, and every village we’ve driven through. Some days I’ve walked out of my classroom feeling defeated, other days I’ve come out feeling like I’ve truly made a difference. I’m coming to realize that it’s not only because I’m in Africa, or because of language and cultural differences, it happens when you’re a teacher, period. But, I appreciate every moment of it. I have grown so much in the short amount of time I’ve been here, and I’m so thankful for this experience. I feel really blessed to have been able to be here. I’ll make sure this isn’t the last time they see me.

1 comment:

  1. Kacey!

    I have been keeping up with all of the blogs and loving all the stories. Sounds like Peter and Brian are throwing a lot of parties! Are you having a "rockin" time? (As Peter likes to say)

    I have to admit, I having been crying so hard when I read all of the blogs, that I literally couldn't read b/c of the tears. So I completely relate to you about how emotional Malawi can be! My heart aches to go back to Malawi. I have been back for a year, and every single day I think about those kids and how eager they are to learn.

    Anyways, have a safe journey back to America!!! Enjoy all the luxuries of America... you will appreciate them so much! Especially the water!!

    Once we go back to school in August, I'd love to get together and see all of your pictures/souvenirs/videos and listen to all the stories that go along with them.

    Enjoy the rest of your summer!
    -Lexi

    ReplyDelete