Wednesday, July 15, 2009

4th Of July!! (July 4)

Happy 4th of July!! Sadly, there is no American pride here in Malawi, but we’re making it work. Dr. Kelly talked about putting up an American flag at some point. I think we are the only American’s in this area right now because every one else we’ve seen are British, European or South African. So yeah. I miss fireworks and barbeques and the lake, but I can’t really complain because I’m in Africa. However, Monday there will hopefully be some kind of Malawian Independence Day celebration.

It’s very cold today, and raining. Usually this doesn’t happen. It’s rained more on this trip than every before, Dr. Kelly said. It normally happens when the temperature drops like it has been, and we might be heading into the rainy season a little early this year. I wish I had brought my rain jacket, I wasn’t supposed to need it!

So far I’ve done pretty much nothing today, it’s great. Jess and I went to bed last night around 9:30, and got up this morning around 10am. We’re considered the grandmas of the group, but I don’t know how anyone else stays up and parties like they do so much. We had breakfast and then a big group of us went into town around noon. The food market was open so I bought some oranges for pretty cheap. It’s real sketchy in there, and it’s common to be robbed so we had to be really alert. We also stopped at the internet café and in 30 minutes I was only able to get out an email to my Mom, I’m not used to internet that slow. But it was nice to have it even for a little while. It rained on our walk back but it wasn’t too bad.

Jess and I started on our school posters, its coming along pretty nicely, it’s probably all we’re doing tonight besides going down to the restaurant for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment